Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: crossover boxes

  1. #1
    Hostboard Member thinking's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2004
    Posts
    87
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've been getting the parts together for a set of Jeff's crossovers, and here's my question. It would seem that putting all these inductors inside a sheetmetal box would tend to mess with their inductances, putting an iron core inside them certainly does, but the original Altec crossovers were in metal boxes, what gives here. Does it really not cause much of an effect on them? If not, I was thinking that a couple of these old pc power supply boxes were about the size of the factory box that came with the later units that had the mid-frequency correction set-up, and the price is real good.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    thinking
    I have used plexiglass sheets 0.180 inches thick.
    Just drill holes PCB style and solder the coil & cap lead
    wires on the back side , Lay the coils on the plexi ( cookie sheet style ) and tie them down with cable ties.
    No worries about magnetics or insulation problems;
    and it is strong.
    Don

  3. #3
    Inactive Member armandh's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    102
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    or non ferrous metal such as aluminum

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by thinking:
    I've been getting the parts together for a set of Jeff's crossovers, and here's my question. It would seem that putting all these inductors inside a sheetmetal box would tend to mess with their inductances, putting an iron core inside them certainly does, but the original Altec crossovers were in metal boxes, what gives here. Does it really not cause much of an effect on them? If not, I was thinking that a couple of these old pc power supply boxes were about the size of the factory box that came with the later units that had the mid-frequency correction set-up, and the price is real good.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. Inductance is based on the geometry of the coil.

    L (inductance) = u (mu naught) n (number of turns) PI r^2 (radius squared).

    Mu naught is the permitivity constant, and is symbolized with a greek letter that I can't type.

    Pi is 3.14159...... also a letter I can't type.

    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  5. #5
    Hostboard Member thinking's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2004
    Posts
    87
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The plexiglass is a good idea, I've worked with it in the past. The aluminum comment also got me thinking, so I checked a couple of factory units to be sure. The 604E and the 904 units both responded to my magnet, although the 904 does have the aluminum faceplate.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Thinking
    The N1600 for 605's has a 1mH IRON CORE coil in a steel box: no problem, in effect the iron core shields the coil.
    If you have air core coils they will change inductance ( mH's ) in a steel box but not in an aluminun box,( or Plexliglas sheet ) .
    Don

  7. #7
    Hostboard Member thinking's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2004
    Posts
    87
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ah, that's probably what was making it not make sense. I'm sure the 604 crossover had iron core, probably the others as well. And after another thought, I actually stuck one of the air cores in a steel box and checked it, and yes, as expected it does change the inductance. Guess I'll go with the plexiglass. Back in college I built an exotic crystal radio in a plexiglass box, really looked cool. It had so much output I almost had to put a volume control on the earplugs.

  8. #8
    Hostboard Member thinking's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2004
    Posts
    87
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a handheld inductance/capacitance meter from circuitspecialists.com Enter 6243 in the search box. Nothing fancy, but it gets a number to work with.

  9. #9
    Hostboard Member thinking's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2004
    Posts
    87
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I should add, the inductance doesn't change a huge amount, particularly if you keep it away from the sides. It's probably in the range of 1 to 2 percent, but after carefully changing the number of turns on the coil to get just the right number, and using an air core to reduce distortion, it just seems to be a step in the wrong direction. Most likely wouldn't produce an audible difference, most caps aren't any closer than several percent tolerance, and we live with them, but yes, if you put your inductor next to a steel box, it will affect it so some measurable degree.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Thinking
    What type Super Duplex ( 604/5 ABC ? ) do you have ?
    Are you near Chicago ?
    Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.